Old June 29th 05, 01:09 AM
F.L. Whiteley

Andrew Warbrick wrote:

At 14:24 28 June 2005, F.L. Whiteley wrote:
When I learned in the UK, the practice was

Statement: 'You have control'
Response: 'I have control'

or

Statement: 'I have control' (usually instructor)
Response: 'You have control'

It's clear and there is no confusion. Why add a fourth
word? Since
presumably if you have the controls, you also have
control of the aircraft.
Personally I think it should be the standard between
instructor and student
and between pilots flying dual. When I fly dual with
another pilot or with
a passenger that might get the stick for a while, I
brief this during
pre-flight checks and reiterate it before changing
control.

At my club we do something similar with winch launch
radio signals during
the launch process. Nothing else is accepted.

'Up slack, up slack, up slack'
'Go, go, go'
'Stop, stop, stop'

I have known of an instructor and tow pilot flying
together where no one was
in control and the glider exceeded VNe slightly in
a dive and was recovered
gently once the situation was realized. It could have
ended otherwise.

Frank

For winch launching in particular I've always favoured.
'Take up Slack,Take up Slack'
'All Out, All Out, All Out'
'Stop, Stop Stop'
It produces three different rythms and makes the three
phrases distinct even when readability is 1. Everybody
gets hot under the collar if you mistake 'stop stop
stop' for 'go go go' with 230hp of diesel screaming
in your ear.
Given the choice I'd go for the BGA 'lights' system
over radio control every time.

I liked that verbage, but it didn't catch on in our operation, though I
suggested it. 'All out' isn't a common idiom to us Yanks as far as I can
tell.

Frank