Old April 19th 04, 03:30 AM
Paul F Austin

"Jim Yanik" wrote .
"Paul F Austin" wrote

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

Are you suggesting an AC-130 gunship??? 8-)

No, I'm suggesting that armed police helos should be "armed" to the
point that they can't get wheels up. I don't trust police with
automatic weapons much less anything heavier.

Why,has there been any significant number of wrongful shootings involving
automatic weapons fire from police?
(and Waco was not police,it was ATF-troop)
ISTR that many non-US countries police are armed with automatic
weapons,too.Maybe they have more problems in that area?

Because here's what automatic weapons fire is used for in ground combat;
automatic weapons are used to suppress enemy fire while other troops slink
around back and grease the bad guys. That tactic is singularly inappropriate
in policing because of the inevitable presence of bystanders.

In the hands of police, automatic weapons become 18-shooter Glocks on
steroids: indiscriminant fire. I have little respect for the marksmanship of
most police and from close contact, no better opinion of the tactical
squads.

As it happens, my club has a large IPSC contingent and also a large Class
III group. Twice a year, they hold a joint shoot. Each time, the pistoleros
outshoot the subgunners. There is a proper role for riflemen but automatic
weapons fire is indiscriminant and inappropriate in policing.