Old January 18th 04, 04:19 AM
Ross Oliver

Jay Honeck wrote:
The revenue from computer games exceeds that
of movies, television, and music COMBINED.

Do you have a source for that claim?

Not that I'm doubting you -- I just want to be able to quote that statement
with confidence.

Well, time for my serving of crow. I do remember reading this stat
in a magazine article (Business 2.0 or Wired or somesuch), but I can't
locate it now. So I did a little research and turns out this statement
is not true.

According to the Entertainment Software Association (www.theesa.org),
total entertainment software sales in 2002 was $6.9 billion. The
Motion Picture Association (www.mpaa.org) reports that total 2002 movie
box office receipts were $9.5 billion. So the computer game industry
has a a little ways to go before even topping Hollywood alone, but may
do so soon. BTW, the RIAA reports 2002 total music sales of $11.5 billion,
the third consecutive year of decline from the 1999 high of $13 billion.

Ross Oliver