Old March 9th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

Default Flying to Texas...recommendations? - some Texas surf

"Morgans" wrote:

"http://tinyurl.com/33fynb

Amazing. I have been to several different beaches on the Gulf, and had
never seen a wave of even half that size. I though Gulf waves were always
in the 3 to 3 foot rang, unless there was a gale or a hurricane coming in.

How often do waves get to the 6 foot and larger variety, and how big do they
get, without a big storm?

Three of those four pictures are storm surf. Gulf Coast surfers live for
tropical storm season. Storms in the central or eastern Gulf will send great
swells toward Texas for days..

It can also get head high in the spring and fall when strong onshore winds
blow for 2-3 days before a cold front. When the front passes, the waves will
be good for a day until the offshore winds flatten them out.

Being a surfer on the Gulf Coast requires patience and the ability to drop
everything and go when a good day happens. I lost a couple of after-school
jobs because of this.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM