Old December 3rd 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default Parachute 20 year limit

On Dec 3, 8:34*am, wrote:
I have a security chute that is older than twenty years of
experience. *Are you guys finding that the repackers are refusing to
recertify past twenty years? *Seems the manufacturers have put out
service bulletins recomending twenty year service limits. *I am
interested in getting this chute repacked if possible. *Please let me
know of anyone that might inspect this chute. *Preferably near
Atlanta, GA.

The thing is, while it is not an FAA mandate, (the 20yr thing...) the
individual packer who certifies it as airworthy has their butt almost
as much on the line as yours is while wearing it, and studies have
shown that 20 yrs of normal use/exposure is approaching the safe
working life limits of the materials. I've heard of 20 yr old
containers that look perfect, with perfect looking canopies that you
can easily jab a finger through. IMO parachutes are just jot a good
arena to skimp in...

-Paul