Old February 3rd 05, 01:56 PM
Michel Talon

Andreas Maurer wrote:
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 22:58:33 +0100, Asbjorn Hojmark
wrote:

Actually, it was more of an ASW-20F without the flaps.

My opinion too - so far I'm lacking the proof of the all-new Pegase
airfoil. The airfoil section on the Pegase fuselage looks *very*
similar.

Would you say that the people at ONERA who have done the job are liars?
Here is the reference:
http://www.onera.fr/daap/reussites.html
I will translate for non french speaking people:
"Light aircraft also benefited from these work, which led to the definition
of the wings of the glider Pegase"
Let me recall that ONERA is a public research organisation who has worked
in particular on the Airbus wings. Also note that German glider factories
work in collaboration with universities to refine their aerodynamical designs.
Anyways the Pegase wing has a very good compromise, so that it climbs well
and still has good behavior at high speed.

I'm still wondering how an ASW-20 with flaps fixed in setting 3 had
compared to the LS-4. Schleicher tested that once (in an ASW-20 for
some US pilot - Karl Striedieck?), but I have not heard of any
conclusion.

In principle a flapped glider should be better at both ends, very low speed
and very high speed. The people who designed the Pegase wing could not do
miracles.

--

Michel TALON