Old May 28th 19, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Are off-airport landouts common and/or dangerous?

On Tue, 28 May 2019 13:31:15 -0700, Andy Blackburn wrote:

Know terrain where you are headed before you head there.

I've only flown once in the Great Basin and that was only local soaring
from Minden when nothing but weak thermals were on offer, but I have
driven from Denver to Lost Hills, CA (US70, US15 then Lost Hills via
Bakersfield and Wasco) and back via Sacramento on both US50 and US80, so
I have some idea of the area. Your advics seems highly sensible to me,
but I have one question: wouldn't exactly the same advice about landout
planning for flights in that area also apply to all single-engine and
light twin GA aircraft?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org