Old October 16th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fred

Default To Pawnee or not to Pawnee...that is the question...

On Oct 15, 8:19 pm, Roy Bourgeois
wrote:
Our club runs a pair of 235 Pawnees (a "D" with the full Hutch =
conversion and a stock "C" model). We also tow with a L-19 Bird Dog. =
Another club I teach for runs a 260 hp Pawnee with the constant speed =
prop and a third club in New England runs a pair of 235s also. I think =
Caesar Creek also runs Pawnees as does Bermuda High. There are several =
at Boulder CO and one nice one at Salida. All Pawnees have had a hard =
life before they came to be tow planes and it's pretty easy to spend =
enough on an engine overhaul, a fabric recover, and the attach point =
AD/STC so that you've got more into the plane than any stock Pawnee is =
worth. There are a few parts that are hard to find but an experienced =
mechanic can usually work around those. We tend to burn through =
starters and brake pads - but most tow planes do. The solo checkout is =
not a problem - they fly real honest and and are not hard to land, but =
the inability to do dual practice towing would make me not want to use =
it as my sole towplane. I've towed behind (but not piloted) the Husky =
at both Mifflin & Albert Lea - and it does a credible job as a =
towplane. I would only be concerned about the high initial cost and the =
insurance costs. It's a little like the price difference between an old =
beater pick up truck and a spiffy new one. If you can afford the new one =
fine. If not, fly & fix your Pawnee.

Roy B.

A log history of tow plane usage. The Husky is designed to carry a
load. When flown empty the cg is too far forward, needing up elevator
to maintain tow attitude...pure drag. I've flown them and towed behind
them. For the price of a new one, buy 4 more Pawnees.
Wing loading, Hp to wing loading climb over obstruction. Climb at high
density altitude, Pilot visability...rugged structure, easy of flying.
So many things favor the Pawnee...
Parts have not been a serious problem. They use so many common parts
of other Piper designs. PMA parts are readily available.

If you want to sell, call me. Fred