Old April 16th 04, 05:46 PM
Bill Daniels

"Shawn Curry" wrote in message
news:GVSfc.153187$K91.403198@attbi_s02...
Liam Finley wrote:

snip

I think the elitism problem is largely an urban myth.

It's all too easy for unsuccesful pilots to blame elitism rather than
take a hard look at their own lack of skill, ability or perserverence.

Stop! There it is-
"Skill, ability, and perseverance."
This is supposed to be a fun recreational activity/hobby/sport, yet it
requires "skill, ability, and perseverance".
That's a lot to ask. That sounds more like the military or marriage
than a fun recreational activity. Any sport or hobby will benefit from
skill, ability, and perseverance, but ours demands it as an entry fee.
Don't get me wrong, I think that's OK. A lot of people looking for long
term reward in a new activity may seek out such demands rather than "Buy
a bigger, better X, Y or Z. Have more fun!" or "more megapixels makes
you a better photographer". We could promote that. "Soaring is more
than a trip to the mall" or whatever.
This sort of demand takes physical and emotional energy. If that's an
expectation when you begin in soaring, you'll be better prepared.
Someone in another post noted that the BGA (IIRC) is great at getting
new members but terrible at keeping them. Part of that is certainly
skill, ability, and perseverance. If people know this is part of the
package up front, or have been lured in because of it, retention of
those new members will increase.
I having these qualities is elitism, well that can be used to our
benefit too.

Shawn

I was once asked by a group of associates how hard it was to learn to land
an airplane. I thought a moment as I framed an answer that would make sense
to these non-pilots - perhaps even encourage them to try it.

Finally, thinking I had a good analogy, I said, "It's about as hard as
parallel parking a car." Disappointment flashed across their faces. "Oh",
they said as a group, "that's pretty hard". They wandered away with their
interest in aviation extinguished.

I can only reflect that aviation as a whole dodged several bullets that
morning. From time to time aviation has caught the public fancy and the
result has always been a flood of fatal accidents and higher costs for the
rest of us as a liability costs soared for anyone connected with aviation.

Soaring does take "skill, ability, and perseverance." as well as other rare
traits. Maybe that makes it "elitist" - if so, so be it. Maybe we should
take a cue from the US Marine Corp Recruiters and look for a "Few Good Men
and Women". Soaring will never be "everymans" hobby.

Bill Daniels