Old September 13th 03, 04:56 PM
Peter Kemp

On 13 Sep 2003 04:51:07 -0700, (Quant) wrote:

(Jack White) wrote

I'm not an air force expert but it is clear from your post that
neither do you. Lets post your claims at rec.aviation.military and
watch the replies.

The Eurofighter Typhoon will give the Saudi Armed Forces the
capability maintain air superiority over any country in the Middle
East including Israel.

The Eurofighter Typhoon has the Meteor Mach4+ Ramjet Powered air to
air BVR missiles with OVER 100km range.

So? The US AIM-54 is operative for many years now and has a range of
at least 135 km.

And is designed for shooting down non-manouvering bombers. It's also
being withdrawn from service, and the Israelis never even had aircraft
qualified for it, let alone any missiles.

The Meteor is still a few years from deployment though, but when it
arrives, it should handily outrange AMRAAM which is the longest spear
in the IAF armoury (Derby is alleged to have a much shorter range).

Why do you think that future American or Israeli made
missiles won't have those capabilities?

Because there are no current projects publicly announced that have the
capabilities of the Meteor. Could there be one in development? Maybe,
but there's no evidence for it.

Why do you think that in the
tiny Israeli airspace medium/long range missiles are more important
than short range ones?

Because you don't need to be in Israel's airspace to fire a missile!
The simple fact is that if you can launch at 20 miles, and you
opponent has to close to 10 miles, then he's already on the defensive
and at a disadvantage.

Israel clearly has superiority in the short
range.

Python 4 is indeed supposed to be very good. Now look up ASRAAM, which
is a handy little performer itself.

Also, successful tactics, good pilots and electronic measures
and counter measures are very important. While Israel will know the
exact characteristics of the systems Saudi Arabia and Egypt will have
and would fit its planes with appropriate counter measures, the Saudis
won't have a clue about Israel's unique technological modifications
because Israel is doing a lot of those modifications itself.

So you're saying the Saudi's and Egyptians have never heard of ELINT?
I find that difficult to believe. Whether they're any good at it is
another matter.

The Eurofighter Typhoon has the capability to destroy F-15Is and
F-16Is before the F-15I or F-16I even knows that the Eurofighter
Typhoon is there.

The info will probably come from early warning systems. Israel is
relying upon its own early warning systems while Saudi Arabia and
Egypt will have to rely upon inferior systems, unless the US will sell
its best technology to these Arab countries (and I doubt it will
happen).

Both Israel the Arab nations use US early warning systems, including
E-2s, and in the case of SA, E-3s (which the Israelis *don't* have.

Peter Kemp