Old March 22nd 04, 07:32 PM
John Galban

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:IyC7c.58287$_w.912977@attbi_s53...
My son, age 13, is planning to take flight lessons this summer. My wife and
I are both pilots, so he has been flying since birth.

Any parents out there gone through the same experience?

Not a parent, but I have known a several kids that started training
early. Unless you can start him on sailplanes, I think 13 is a bit
early. The problem is that there are no immediate goals. Solo in a
power plane is at least 3 years away (seems like a lifetime to a 13
yr. old), and a PPL is 4 yrs. away. Even at 1 lesson per week, it
will be hard to maintain progress (and interest) for that long.

I'm not saying it's sure not to work, but you have to take into
account the time lag between starting training and achieving the goal
(or even a major milestone like solo). It's not a big factor for kids
that are highly motivated to fly (by that I mean the ones who are
totally nuts about aviation), but it's not for everyone.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)