Old December 12th 17, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default ADS-B Update

On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 4:43:54 AM UTC-8, Dan Daly wrote:
On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 4:48:05 AM UTC-5, Darryl Ramm wrote:
It must be time for some more ADS-B posts, either that or we can talk about PW5 :-)

With the ~$350 street price Trig TN72 GPS source now available in the USA I wanted to revisit my understanding of the situation with ADS-B Out in gliders. I wrote a forum post for local Northern California pilots but it probably helps lots of other folks in the USA. See https://www.williamssoaring.com/news...er-this-Winter

---

And specifically I want to correct some doubt/misinformation I've helped spread here before about the Trig TN72 GPS source when it was first announced. The TN72 is either (depending on how it is configured in the paired transponder) a:

1. TABS/TSO-C199 GPS source (with SIL=1)

*or*

2. A "meets performance requirement of TSO-C145c" GPS source (language I prefer, although Trig may say it differently) (with SIL=3)

(OK the TN72 can also do plain NMEA (with SIL=0), but that's not intersting here).

A little more details and the implications of this is described in post linked to above.

It would be great for folks doing 1090ES Out installs to share their experiences. Here, or contact me directly,

I am happy to try to answer questions.

I'm also planning to give a few talks on ADS-B (and FLARM and Transponders) over the next few months, certainly on the West Coast, details later.

Darryl

Will you be at the Reno Convention? Seems to be a good time and interested crowd...

i will be at the SSA Reno Convention and that is one of the locations I'm looking at giving a talk, maybe with some other presenters, details later.

Also happy to meet offline there to talk about what folks are doing and and to try to answer questions. Part of all this is just as things have now got very real with the TN72 available I'm starting to hear old and new questions over again, some new "interesting" ideas how ADS-B works, or confusion about TABS vs. a 2020 complaint install, etc..