Old April 25th 18, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Mounting tires on 3" solid tailwheels

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 5:08:43 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I'm one of the club fixit guys, and I got a little obsessed with the task of mounting a tire on a Tost 3" dia. solid tailwheel. I tried all the good advice offered on this and other forums with zero success. Most likely I lack superhuman hand strength and three extra arms.

Success took the form of a $43 Harbor Freight mini-tire changer and Ru-Glyde tire mounting lubricant from NAPA Auto. It's not as easy as the harbor freight promotional video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7o-i4tQyfY

but it isn't a hideous trial either. With the tool the most difficult part is getting the inner tube emplaced and managing the valve stem.

Brian R
127MM

PS, If you used the tool regularly you'd probably make some modifications, since it theoretically is for wheels 4" dia. and greater.

PPS, I bought a split wheel for my own glider. Expensive, but you have some recourse if you get a flat when away from the shop.

Tire talc makes it much easier:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/tiretalc.php