Old July 9th 03, 02:16 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

PS2727 wrote:
most realize
that sometimes things just don't go according to plan. I have always thought
airlines should be more forthcoming in telling customers that not all flights
will be on time and that it's simply not possible to make flying 100% reliable.

Actually I think airlines have been at considerable pains to persuade
pax that flying is as close to 100% reliable as anything on earth and
that they should be able to expect to get there on time. If people have
unreasonable expectations, it's from believing the commercials.

That's what many people are paying for -- convenience and reliability,
trading the purchase price of the ticket for a presumed savings in
rare time off.

If they were given an accurate description of airline travel today
(expect many delays, plan an extra day transit each way), IMO many
would choose an alternate means of transportation. It's certainly
possible to drive from the midwest to the East coast or Denver in
1 day, though tiring and uncomfortable. Trains are also a possible
alternative between some locations.

Ever stood in an old train station, admired the size and architecture,
and thought to yourself how, 50-60 years ago when these things were
built people thought this was "it", the transportation of the future,
and that they were building for generations of users to follow? Now
it's a hotel, or a shopping mall, or both, and the train station may
be a little hut across town with 1 pax train a day.

I have the same feelings when I stand in a busy airport terminal.
We're about 45 years into the golden age of commercial aviation,
and I find myself wondering when it will be gone and what will
replace it in 50 or 40 or 30 or 10 years.

Scotty, beam me to 'Frisco?
Sydney