Old December 28th 03, 10:56 PM
Steve Pawling

"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message ...
"Uri Saovray" wrote in message
om...
Doug Hoffman wrote in message

One might ask, why lay that way? I assume you mean to imply that a

fuselage
with a smaller cross-section, hence less drag, could then be employed.

This
has sort of been done in the HP-18 series of gliders. In the HP-18 one

lays
almost flat on one's back, fet forward of course, with the head tilted
upward somewhat using a head rest. The HP-18 fuse is pretty short

compared
to most. Comfort can be an issue, or so I'm told. But to be fair, many

say
they like it just fine.

-Doug

And don't forget the Siren Edelweiss C30S
\ /
\./
----------------(o)-----------------

Diamant anyone? Thought the BS-1 was also very prone.

Frank Whiteley

Those have supine cockpits but, of course, they could also be prone to
do something! The original question was regarding prone seating
(laying?) position. Horten used a prone cockpit on several flying wing
designs and this can be seen very nicely on the Horten IV at:
http://members.cox.net/akecs/HoIVrest.htm

Also, there is a guy here in Tehachapi that designed a modern flying
wing with a prone cockpit but so far only a quarter scale has been
built.

All the best,
Steve