Old September 6th 03, 12:15 AM
RobertR237

In article sk86b.368550$o%2.166125@sccrnsc02, "C.D. Damron"
writes:

I only check out ANN when somebody brings it up here on RAH. In almost
every case, I see a case a questionable journalism, within moments.

Check out this blurb that appeared on ANN:

"Risky Business": Adam's A-700 Flight To Oshkosh. Barely a week after their
totally new bird with totally new engines takes flight, Adam Aircraft
decided to bring it to Oshkosh. While many consider the move gutsy
(including our staff, begrudgingly), we consider the move questionable.
Already under fire for safety practices and other concerns, what chance this
aircraft has of seeing the light of day (certification and production wise)
were put into jeopardy for what we consider a PR stunt that had questionable
value and WAY too many risks...

Is this good journalism?

It is an editorial which has never required good journalism but in every
reputable medium that I know of, they offer a chance for rebuttal. Our local
TV Channels often do editorials on all sorts of subject but always offer to
give equal air time to any opposing views. The newspapers do the same and have
a letters to the editor section that allows for opposing views. In fact, both
the pro and con arguments will be presented at the same time and given equal
space. Campbell has never offered the same capability regarding his editoral
content in either USAviator or on his most recent "publication" ANN.

In reference to your quoted story, where is the view from Adam Aircraft on why
they felt it was necessary to have their plane at the biggest and most
important aviation even of the year? Was it really a risk to bring it here or
not? Were they even asked to comment? I doubt it but if they were, obviously
their comments were ignored.

The sad part of all this is that Campbell had a good idea with ANN. He was not
the first to come up with it, AVWEB has done a similar site for longer, but it
is still a good idea. He will continue to use it as his personal attack medium
and will eventually drive away both readers and sponsors, especially if he
continues to bill them for advertising they didn't request.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)