Old July 13th 11, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default tow rope brake practice crash, what can we learn...

On Jul 12, 12:03*pm, Papa3 wrote:
On Jul 12, 11:10*am, Berry wrote:

Andy

The pilot that was fatally injured was reportedly a CFIG. The pilot
that was seriously injured was a glider DPE. It's been reported that
it was gusty. The commercial operation was in its first year of
operation from this airfield, which I'm told is tight and tree-lined.
No other info.

Sorry, replied to the wrong post. *My comments are in response to the
Montana accident of last Friday.

Frank Whiteley

Low altitude maneuvers in gusty conditions in a 2-32. Gives me chills to
think of it. *2-32's are fun to fly but they are unforgiving b-stards if
you get low and slow.

Both the accidents being discussed involved gliders with reputations for
spinning in.

Was about to post the same thing. * *Was pondering this very issue
whilst giving 2-32 rides for the local FBO this weekend. * *I don't
think I'd even contemplate a return to the runway from less than 300
feet in that bird at max gross unless we had TONS of extra
airspeed. * *As mentioned elswhere, there are so many variables to
this that each flight requires its own plan.

P3

Several years ago I had PTT at around 200ft while giving a ride in a
2-32. No problem making a smooth steep turn back and rolling back to
the start point. The old beast keeps energy well (it should!) so as
long as you don't waste time, and don't stall in the turn (you'll only
do that once down low in a 2-32...) it's not bad.

It helps to have smart tow pilots who tow nice and fast - there was
absolutely no need to lower the nose!

Do the math about turn rate vs sink rate - 200' is more a
psychological barrier. Practice in a sim helps here, since you can
play "what ifs" and see the results.

Best glider Schweizer ever made, IMO.

Kirk
66