Old February 11th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Air Force One Had to Intercept Some Inadvertent Flyers / How?

Rick Umali wrote:
Story by Mac Daniel in the Boston Globe today states that an F-15 fighter
jet, which was escorting Air Force One (President Bush was in Manchester,
NH), had to intercept a 1979 Beechcraft Skipper Plane which was flying in
the restricted airspace. According to the article, the pilot didn't realize
that the airspace over Manchester airport was restricted due to the
president's arrival.

My question to you folks: How does the F-15 get the pilot's attention? And
safely direct the plane to land?

According to the article, the F-15 pilots "did not have to fire flares to
get the pilot's attention." At the same time, the F-15 was dispatched
because "air traffic controllers were unable to make contact with the pilot
by radio." The article doesn't state how the F-15 was able to get the plane
to land, other than this sentence: "The jet escorted the plane out of the
secure zone..."

I'm picturing a gigantic bullhorn, but even more pressing to me is can the
F-15 fly slow enough to "direct" this smaller plane?

Eager to hear some ideas here! Thanks!

Article he http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/02/09/4
_planes_violate_secure_airspace_1_forced_to_land/

I believe the intercept process is described in the AIM.