Old September 19th 03, 06:01 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:45:14 -0700, "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

"Mike Marron" wrote in message
.. .
Ed Rasimus wrote:
Chad Irby wrote:

I know there were a couple of cases in Vietnam where F-4s made hard
enough turns to rip the ECM pods off...

Gotta wonder about that, since ECM pods were routinely carried in the
Sparrow missile wells. Can't imagine a situation in which the pods
suspension gear would fail. Don't say it couldn't, simply that I doubt
it.

In 250 combat missions, 150 over NVN where high threat evasions were
most likely, I never, not even once, heard of a structural failure nor
of an inadvertent separation of any piece of equipment off an
aircraft. I'm not saying it couldn't have, simply that I doubt it.

I doubt it too!

I don't know how much an F-4 ECM pod weighs, but I do know that it
would require a hellacious amount of G's to cause the bolts that
fasten the pod to the airframe to fail.

How could you possibly know that?

Math.

Marron has no such math skills.