Old July 15th 11, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

Default MSL vs. AGL (Again)

On Jul 14, 7:54*pm, T wrote:
On Jul 14, 7:20*pm, N11rdbird wrote:

The MSL/AGL issue has come before the Caesar Creek Soaring Club Board
once again. Not only has the Club been thrown into turmoil again, this
time it has specifically affected our instructors and how to most
effectively teach our students. I am curious if there are other Clubs
or organizations that teach using AGL.
Rolf Hegele
Member of the Board

I don't think you have provided enough information to effectively
answer the question. However, I think I know where you are going.

TEACH MSL, to teach any thing else is a disservice to your students.

Most "eastern" clubs teach AGL. Setting the altimeter to zero altitude
and not to field MSL elevation. Powered airplane students are never
taught to do this, but to set the altimeter setting or field elevation
as per their respective manuals.

If you fly under the floor of class b airspace, how do you know when
to stop the climb to not violate the class b? Your field is at 1000
MSL, but you set "0". there is class b above you at 6000 MSL, but when
your altimeter says 5000 you are already violating the class b. Some
may argue to do the math and know that 5K on the altimeter is the
limit. BULL CRAP,set the altimeter correctly the first time and it
will read correctly with no math required.

And if your newly minted pilot ever comes out west, he'll never be
able to set to "0" or AGL, the altimeter does not "unwind" far enough.

If your newly minted pilot ever contacts any ATC facility for
transition around controlled airspace, the ATC will issue an altimeter
setting which he is expected to set and the report his altitude
accordingly. But now he is set to MSL and not AGL and he's never delt
with MSL before.

Your pilot is flying with others who are taught MSL, but his altimeter
is set to AGL. When they report locations and altitudes they are
expecting MSL and who is going to miss report or miss interpret? The
pilot set to AGL!!
Teach them right the first time and forget it!!

Sorry, I forgot to sign my post.

T, CFIG