Old December 1st 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bbutlergps

Default Smart Turbo Diesel or VW Lugo Diesel

I am in Texas and my French only works in Paris, Texas that is so I
can't quite read that website on the Gaz_aile.
Would you know how much it weighs and what the output is?
Transportation isn't too big of a problem as long as you have time
(ship) 6 weeks plus. I can pick it up anywhere along the Eastern sea
board or Houston.
Thanks,
Bill
karel wrote:
"bbutlergps" wrote in message
ps.com...
Howdy,
I am looking into a power plant for a Zenith 701. I am very interested
in going the route of a diesel. Would anybody have any information on
either the:
Smart (Mercedes) 3 cyl. 95 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 112
hp) found in the Smart ForFour or VW Lupo or Fox (euro) 3 cyl. 1.4
liter 70 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 108 hp)
What I am most interested in is weight and the PSRU.
Thanks,
Bill

not very clear where you are,
so availability is a major concern.
but since you seem interested in european engines,
have a look at the gaz_aile,
it uses the diesel engine from the Citroen AX
and peugeot 106, not the most modern engine,
but simple (no electronics!) and reliable.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaz'aile_2#Le_moteur

http://gazaile2.free.fr/