Old September 18th 10, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default How high can you fly?

Mark wrote:
Ok, it's the year 2016. You are in a little Cessna 150.
You're plane isn't pressurized because it will implode,

Explode, not implode. Unless it is an underwater submersible?

so you're wearing a pressurized body suit. You have
an oxygen mask. You plane is powered by a very
powerful brushless electric motor supplied by a 20lb
carbon nanotube source that is basically limitless.

Your claims are absurd.

I was one of the technical reviewers for the 1999 text "Nanomedicine, Vol
I" by Robert A. Freitas Jr. One of the chapters I reviewed was Chapter 6 on
power for nanomachines. The energy density of storage devices that rely on
charge separation are limited by the dielectric strengths of materials.
They are typically one or two orders of magnitude smaller than chemical
energy storage Some references:

http://www.nanomedicine.com/NMI/6.2.3.htm
http://www.nanomedicine.com/NMI/6.2.4.htm
http://www.nanomedicine.com/NMI/Tables/6.1.jpg

Your powerplant is equivalent to 700hp in an LSA.
The electric motor and cabin are heated.

That is much too powerful to maintain a sea level speed of under 120 kts at
continuous maximum power for LSA.

How high can you fly? 95,000ft?

This will soon be a real consideration.

In 6 years? No.