Old April 1st 21, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default I Need To Know

wrote on 4/1/2021 4:49 AM:
We would love to have you attend our Soaring Safari, already making plans for 2022 that will make our safari an even more successful event. We are considering putting motorgliders in a separate class and scoring more points for the purist, seems like the only logical thing to do, what would be your suggestion?

Whatever seems to bring the most entrants, I think. Glider attributes, including motors,
wingspan, flaps, design year, etc all affect the performance, and the trick is to sort them
into classes the pilots find most enjoyable. For the ASA motorglider camp at Parowan each year,
we just use the OLC scoring for the "contest" portion of the event.

One of the participants of our Soaring Safari had engine problems and could not launch, I came to the rescue of the motorglider and towed the motorglider with my Pawnee, I even took my GoPro with me so that I could get a video of me towing a motorglider, what a beautiful sight!

Some of us own motorgliders to "rescue" ourselves when the towplane has an engine problem and
can not launch. Or the towpilot can't fly that day. Note that not all motorgliders are
self-launchers, and our sustainer equipped brethren still need towplanes and towpilots (or
winches, auto tows, bungeys, whatever :^). And, as I've mentioned before, if you can get a
launch where and when you want one, a sustainer glider is the best of both worlds.