Old February 7th 21, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Winch launch simulation with Matlab

On Sat, 06 Feb 2021 19:24:38 -0800, 2G wrote:

I ran across this fascinating thesis on winch launching from Germany by
Christoph Santel (2008). It uses Matlab+Simulink for the modelling
platform. He deals with a variety of issues such as steel vs synthetic
cable.
http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~cline/...Simulation-of-

a-Glider-Winch-Launch

Tom

An interesting paper, but I was a bit surprised that more attention
wasn't given to winching in higher wind speeds, particularly when the
increase in wind speed with altitude is higher than normal. This can have
a marked effect on release height, especially when a lightish, slower
glider, such as an SZD Junior, is being launched and the wind sheer
gradient is high enough for the winch driver to back off the power and
let the glider kite up. Under these conditions the glider arrives above
the winch significantly higher than it would in calm conditions because
the a lot less cable has been wound onto the winch drum.

These conditions aren't common where I fly, but are always fun when they
are present.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org