Old July 19th 04, 02:50 PM
JP Krievins

(StellaStar) wrote in message

If you ever get a hankering to go even further north, Ely with its wolf museum
is a wonderful destination. Feels like you're at the top of the world, and the
sectional will warn you of the areas where the concentration of iron ore in the
ground tweaks your compass...

The flight from Duluth to Ely messes with the GPS as well. I've flown
it three times and each time I lost position part way there. The last
time I was getting erroneous data...the moving map had me heading east
over Lake Superior at 600 knots! (I fly a Cherokee 140). I've learned
to have my sectional open on my lap for that leg, as you can't trust
the compass or the GPS. Ely has a VOR on field, but I like redundancy
in navigation. Ely is a cool place, sort of the last outpost before
the civilized world turns into wilderness. The economy relys on
wilderness tourism, so it has more than adequate amenities, but is
still unspoiled.

Our first trip there was a round-robin of Oshkosh to Mackinac Island
to Ely and back to Kansas. Our last fuel stop before Ely was Ashland.
Thanks for the memories, Jay and Stella.

JP Krievins