Old March 25th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

Default Just Bought A Plane? STAY OUT OF FLORIDA !

(Edward A. Falk) wrote:
In article ,
Jim Logajan wrote:
Roger wrote:

See my post where I gave the URL to the May 2007 A.N.N. story. A.N.N.
is basically rehashing a year-old story just ahead of SnF to cause
maximum damage to it and Florida.

Did it really happen or not? Apparently it did.

Correct - a sale in Florida got hit with a Florida sales tax. That is
perfectly normal and doesn't deserve any press.

Has the law changed
to prevent a recurrance? Apparently it has not.

And it doesn't appear to need any changing. You can find it on the web.
Since you appear to be claiming that the law needs changing, why don't
you quote it and tell us what aspect needs changing?

A simple visit to Florida
could cost you many thousands of dollars. Anybody tempted to visit
that state deserves to know this.

Baloney. A simple visit to Florida does not trigger use tax. Florida
would not have prevailed if that were their only basis for demanding the
tax.

Should this story damage Florida? If it's true, I would say yes.

What precisely do you think the story is here? Are you claiming the
seller was not a Florida company? If so, you have information I don't
have. Please share with me who the seller was and what state they were
in. I'm claiming there is a preponderance of evidence indicating Piper, a
Florida company, delivered to a North Carolina person or legal entity a
plane that was subject to Florida sales tax. You present precisely zero
evidence - just outrage.

So; is it true or not? The AOPA article looks pretty damning.

If it is so damning, then feel free to quote the cases listed in the AOPA
article of inappropriate sales tax. You only need name one. I'll be here
all year.

What evidence do you have that it's not?

Res ipsa loquitur:

Florida has the sales tax money and the buyer gave up, even though by my
estimate the difference between NC and FL taxes for the plane was worth a
bit more than $30,000 to the purchaser.