Old July 4th 14, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Default PowerFlarm, ADS-B, GPS again!!! (please don't flame me)

I know PowerFlarm and ADS-B have been discussed all over the net, but I was thinking today about something that I haven't seen (or been able to find):

We have a PowerFlarm with a (apparently) good GPS system installed, Altitude encoder, and NMEA data stream output.

We have a bunch of ADS-B (out) capable transponders that will be going into aircraft in the next few years (at least the only one I'm willing to install is going to have that capability).

EXCEPT we don't have a FAA approved GPS data source for the ADS-B out function available without installing another (read that expensive) GPS device in our crowded panel.

SO, is there any ongoing effort to get approval for the PF GPS to be used to supply the NMEA data for the ADS-B out on the transponder?

Logic would propose that the glider community, or PF designers, or TXP companies might work together to get this important function easily implemented in the glider fleet.

Is there any such effort that anyone is aware of? Participating in? Would like to support or participate in? ETC.

MB