Old January 3rd 11, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vaughn[_3_]

Default Sport Pilot Glider Rating?

"Brian" wrote in message
The biggest problem with the sport pilot glider certificate is there
is little incentive to get it over a private certifcate. As I recall
the training in nearly identical. One just has to take the Knowledge
test (I think) and find a DPE to take a practical test, instead of
with a CFI. Most soaring sites are already set up for this. This will
add a few hundred dollars and some additional study for the knowledge
test, but then one does not have the limitations of the Sport pilot
certificate.

I agree with what you say. I would try to talk any new student into going for
the Private, but that wasn't the original question. The OP seemed to be asking
about a glider add-on to an existing Sport Pilot certificate. That is actually
a pretty simple thing for any glider school to do providing they have a suitable
trainer and two CFIG's.willing to sign.

Vaughn