Old October 28th 05, 09:24 AM
David Cartwright

Default Widower stabbed Air Traffic Controller?

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
. net...
If you read an understood the report, you know exactly what I meant. I
won't enter your game.

I read and understood the report. I have no idea what you meant, that's
why I asked.

I think the original poster perhaps chose the wrong words. While it can't be
denied that the controller made a mistake, this mistake was an
understandable one given the circumstances in which he found himself
(working multiple desks, with some equipment out of action, etc). It could
be said that he also made a mistake by accepting the workload when he came
on shift and had it handed to him, but I don't know enough about the
circumstances and/or the relationship between staff and management to
comment on that.

He was, however, not the only one who made a mistake. One realisation that
came from this accident, for instance, is that when TCAS and an ATC person
tell you two different things, you go with TCAS - which wasn't the case in
this incident as one pilot went with the ATC command. Similarly, it seems
that the ATC management were at fault by allowing a skeleton staff to run
such a crucial operation.

D.