Old March 6th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Roberts

Default Microlight aerotow....can it be done?

Trikes have been tested towing gliders in the UK in
the past. I believe it was done at Husbands Bosworth.
As far as I know they were using Rotax 912 equiped
trikes towing single seaters.
Someones bound to come on with more info, or correct
me on this.

I have seen Technam Echo and Technam Golf tugs (3 axis
microlights) used at Omarama in NZ. In fact one day
an Ash25 was put on the back of the Technam Echo to
see what it was like. Ash Pilot reported better climb rate than with the 172
(which to be fair was fecking rubbish tug). aparently the echo has quite big
control surfaces and the ash got well out of position
several times with the echo reporting no lack of control
authority.

Several different microlight 3 axis tugs have been
used in Europe. There was an article in S+G a few
years ago on various types used in Germany I think
it was.

Luke

Exclusive Ed Byrne daily comedy clips on MSN Video
http://specials.uk.msn.com/edbyrne/