Old March 8th 07, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Default Flying to Texas...recommendations

Jay..

I second the Scholes field thing. Lone Star flight museum is on field.
Moody Gardens is 2 blocks away (actually built on former airport
property). Schlitterbahn is right across the street (built on the site
of a former hangar.

The historic strand is a cab or car ride down the road.. 8 miles max.

Up in Houston, close to EFD, NASA Johnson Space Center has the "Space
Center Houston" attraction for kids. Kemah has the Boardwalk, a
collection of 10 restaurants, some themed, on the clear creek channel
where clear lake exits to Galveston Bay.

Weiser Field (EYQ) has Carls bbq on field.

Brenham has a 50's diner on field

If you end up in the Houston area, let me know, I'd love to meet you
guys for lunch or dinner one night, or even be tour guide for a day if
you wanted.

Dave

Barney Rubble wrote:
If you want to keep the aviation theme going, head on over to Galveston.
There is a great aviation museum right on Scholes Field
(http://www.lsfm.org/) and Moody Gardens is very close by. You'll love the
hotel at T82, but it is a taxi ride into town and the restaurant on the
field is only OK IMHO. A good ariel tour of the hill country and a stop in
Llano for BBQ at Coopers would also be a nice diversion. WX is looking good
for the next 3-4 days.

- Barney

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

We're hoping to depart for Fredericksburg, Texas (T82) next Sunday, to
pay a visit to the Hangar Hotel -- the only other aviation themed
hotel in the country (that we know of).

Fredericksburg itself sounds very neat, and we'll spend a day or two
there, but the kids want WARM weather -- and so do I. We're presuming
that we'll have to fly down to the Gulf coast to hit the really nice
weather, but there's no telling this far out.

San Antonio is nice, and we have friends to visit there, but I'm
looking for alternate suggestions. We'll be at the mercy of late
winter weather, so being flexible will be our best defense!

Any other Gulf coast destination recommendations?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA