View Single Post
Old April 6th 20, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default ASW-15 Impressions

I have a 15 (s/n 15151) and a Pegasus with very little time in the Peg and 300 hours or so in the 15. I'm not into racing so can't really comment on how it compares to other gliders of that vintage performance-wise. I know at one time both it and the Cirrus had a 1.0 handicap.

It is very easy to rig. It has manual connections. If equipped with safety sleeves, they are simple to hook up and easy to test. Using safety pins was a bit harder. The all flying tail is a non-issue.The top and bottom air brakes are very effective. Some have an off-center CG release that can, apparently, be an issue in cross wind take-offs. Mine has what some call a "chin" release so no problems there.

There is an AD concerning fungus on the balsa that, once completed, requires only a visual check at each annual. I can't imagine that there any that still have not had the initial AD completed. Other than the original glider that crashed that created the need for the AD, I've never heard of any other 15 having the problem. I'm not saying its never happened, just that I'm unaware of it.

I bought the Pegasus because I wanted to step up in performance. It is also a great glider and is certainly in a different class than the 15. I intended to sell my 15 but could find no takers, presumably due to its low max pilot weight (185 lbs). (I'm also 6'1" and, with the seat back removed and a chute on, my head is probably about an inch from the canopy.) As I can't afford two gliders, the Peg is back on the market. Its on W&W for anyone interested.

In my biased opinion, the ASW 15 is a great glider for the price. Easy to fly and rig. Excellent handling.