Old August 23rd 04, 04:07 AM
Mark Smith

Richard Isakson wrote:

"Jay" wrote ...
I've been under the impression that 4 stroke engines get better gas
mileage in aircraft due to their higher BSFC numbers. But I've
recently realized that since the 4 stroke engines are so much heavier
than a same horse powered 2 stroke you end up having to design a
larger aircraft (and engine) to carry the original intended payload
plus the additional weight of the engine. So in the end, a purpose
built 2 stroke airplane will be smaller, lighter may even get better
gas mileage.

Not so, Jay. The two stroke burns fifty percent more fuel then the four
stroke so you have to carry fifty percent more fuel weight. For an airplane
with fuel for a four hour cruise, both airplanes weigh about the same.

Rich

pretty generalstatement,

have you been around many two strokes ?

the reason i ask is my 618 GT 500 burns right at 3 1/4 GPH, as does a
frineds 912 powered GT 500,

and mine will double his climb rate !
--

Mark Smith