Old July 23rd 03, 12:35 PM
Frank Dobbs

Personally, I fly a Zugvogel IIIa.

This has very similar performance, with the extra L/D of the Foka. It
doesn't drop a wing on takeoff ground run like the K6e. It has loads
of room in the cockpit (I can barely fit into a K6e being 6 foot 2 and
a half inches tall).

Happy non-glass flying!

Frank Dobbs

wrote in message ...
Janos - They are both wonderful sailplanes - it comes down to personal
preference. Performance wise, the Foka is probably 5 to 10 kmh faster
in cruise (which is not significant in overall xc speed), and even
faster above 130. They both climb well in weak conditions with an edge
to the "E" with it's lighter wing loading and "feel" for the air. The
Foka enjoys a steep bank angle. They both have legendary handling
characteristics - Foka has a solid/steady feel with firm ailerons, the
Ka-6E a lighter, more agile feel. I prefer the reclined seating of the
Foka - confortable on long flights but a narrow cockpit (I wear a
bandage on my flying arm to protect from rubbing). Both have excellent
airbrakes for short field landings. I prefer the sliding canopy of the
Foka as it stays attached to the aircraft. The off-center CG tow
release on the "E" can make for an interesting take-off if the wing
runner isn't attentive! My experience on assembly is - take the K6.
The Foka wings are heavier and the main pin (at least on my ship) is
always a problem. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

David