Old June 18th 05, 04:07 AM
dave

Transpondets typically don't have any bearing on what altitude is being
sent out.
Most probably its a encoder problem. 90% or more can be adjusted back
into spec.
You can have a 125ft difference between the encoder and what the
altimeter is indicating.
Come to Dallas and I'll do a realistic ifr certification for you.
Did the shop tell you to send in your transponder?
Altimeters can be adjusted also.
There is a little Kollsman window adjustment which can change the
barometer set ie 29.92 and what the altimeter reads.
It's not legal to adjust unless your certified to do it. But Stevie
Wonder could do it in his sleep.

Dave

Mike Rapoport wrote:
The encoder is indeed separate from the transponder. It is a little box
attached to the static system that converts pressure information to an
electrical format that the transponder can understand.

Mike
MU-2

"A Lieberman" wrote in message

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 03:56:36 GMT, Mike Rapoport wrote:

A new encoder is only $160.

Mike
MU-2

Mike,

Is the encoder a separate component of the transponder?

Or am I paying labor for it to be installed into the transponder?

If I remember correctly, the estimate was about $400 for the overhaul of
the transponder, which I thought the encoder was inside the unit? I just
remember something like $600 for both, and I figured labor would jack it
up
to $1000.

Allen