Old June 2nd 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

Default Defense against UAV's

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
"Arved Sandstrom" wrote in

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
"Arved Sandstrom" wrote:

:"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
.. .
:[ SNIP ]
: I learned it the simple way: If you can see it, you can kill it.
:
:Well, not if "it" is capering about merrily in a No Fire Area.

I can't say I believe in No Fire Areas.

NFA's make sense if people remember what they are for. And if the
target in the NFA is truly juicy, provoke them into firing on you; you
are allowed to engage the enemy in an NFA for self-defense.

A UAV illuminating a carrier with a laser designator would be cause for
firing,IMO.

Surely yes; the key word being "designator". In any case, I have no idea how
the USN manages its battlespace, or what restrictive and permissive fire
support coordination measures it uses at sea (on land for NSFS it's just the
same measures that the land forces use). In principle I guess a navy could
have at-sea no fire areas, or the equivalent thereof - something like "don't
blast oil rigs", for example, or less restrictive coordination areas, like
"get permission before engaging targets in the Strait of Gibraltar".

AHS