Old February 13th 18, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Default New pilot looking for glider to purchase.

This in response to an earlier post of mine...

If you wish to ignore the sage advice of one of the most professional and
experienced instructors in the world, (plus display pilot, film stunt
pilot ect. ect.), who has probably flown more types of aircraft than most pilots
(including flapped only ships) - your choice.

We-l-l...I suspect we can agree:
- all free advice is worth - at the very least - exactly what is paid for it;
- everyone is free/welcome to make their own choices in life, and, to accept
personal responsibility for the resulting consequences.

Were it possible for me to do, I'd bet money on:
- Derek Piggott agreeing his general advice about which I posted earlier was
never intended to be "absolutely correct." Stated another way, I'll
characterize it as great advice, based on tons of personal/instructing
experience, soundly reasoned and likely "generally spot on" for its time and
place (ostensibly Great Britain, in the mid 1970s).

I *suspect* Mr. Piggott would readily agree his goal as an instructor was less
to turn out unthinking automatons programmed to do only exactly as he
proposed, than to ensure his (and all) students were thoroughly grounded in
the fundamentals, while simultaneously being educated/thoughtfully-prepared to
safely embark on soaring's life-enriching, unavoidably self-educational,
adventures. Gratifying adventures...though simultaneously and also
unavoidably, potentially deadly. If I'm wrong in this particular surmise, then
I'm OK with agreeing to disagree with the man.

Respectfully,
Bob - from the "Life is Nuanced" school of thought - W.

---
http://www.avg.com