Old February 8th 21, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

Default What is involved regulation wise adding an electric motor to a glider?

On Sunday, February 7, 2021 at 4:32:11 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, 8 February 2021 at 00:16:06 UTC, Kenn Sebesta wrote:
Climb power: Climb power is NOT level flight plus climb rate. This is because an inclined plane requires less lift (imagine an aerobatic plane doing a prop hang. The wings are producing 0 lift in this case).

Of course. But the difference in the case which the OP was asking about is about 1.25% of the drag. And I did mention "reasonable accuracy". ;^o)
J.

Something I haven’t seen mentioned is the Maximum Weight of Non-Lifting Surfaces. I doubt that most 15 meter birds can stand adding 100 pounds in the fuselage without exceeding thIs max allowed weight? The LS-3a for example shows an empty weight of 551 + pilot & parachute (200#) + 100# motor, prop, spinner, control unit, wiring and batteries = 851, minus wing weight at 140 X2 = 571..........the maximum allowable weight of non lifting surfaces is 507!
If the max weight of non lifting surfaces is substantially exceeded, the structural strength of ship will is reduced according!
Something else to think about while your test flying your home made electric machine?
JJ