Old February 26th 04, 11:33 AM
Roger Long

The reason I dropped everything and did it right then is that I wouldn't
even want to think about doing it with the windshield in. People have done
it with screwdrivers and knives bent at an angle and I imagine enough
cussing to build half an airplane. The windshield actually lands on the
edge of the vinyl overlay. Getting that edge right would be very hard. I
just started an oversize piece of Naugahyde in the middle and worked out.
Then I trimmed it with a razorblade. 3M makes a special spray contact
cement especially for gluing Naugahyde to metal in places where it will be
exposed to sun and heat.

If I had to do this with the windshield in, I would go with one of the
fiberglass units that slide in over the whole thing and have
electroluminecent lighting as well. That will cost you about$500 by the
time it's in. This job was done for under 20 bucks plus the 7 hours of my
time.

BTW the first windshield is the expensive one because all the rivets have to
be drilled out. The trim strip will be put back with screws so the next
replacement will be much cheaper. If you have a 64 plane, just tell your
A&P to take a critical look at the windshield. Then you can tell your wife,
"The IA made me do it." The view and safety will be worth it.

--
Roger Long
Al Gilson wrote in message

.......so, I zipped out to buy materials and, seven hours later, it was

done.

Can you elaborate? What are the materials? How did you size it? Attach
it? Can it be done with the windshield in place?

Questions, questions, questions.

- - -
Al Gilson
1964 Skyhawk