Old July 8th 16, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Default Al-Ko Trailer Tongue failure

On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 4:08:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Rather than drifting this thread on into principles of bolt engineering, instead lets focus the on the real problem. The new Al-Ko tongue design again leads to concerns of possible tongue failure. The old style Cobra round tongue also has a history of failures and also generated the same concerns. As Cobra trailer owners, we should be campaigning Spindelberger to provide better engineered tongue components. A new, well optioned, Cobra trailer can easily cost $20,000 or more. The last thing I expect to do after taking delivery of a new trailer is upgrading tongue bolts.

Right On. I can't believe they are still using steel wheels with hub caps. Nice aluminum rims are not even an option. Not sure if current hubs come with bearing buddy/quick lube fittings. But if not that is amazing as well.. A shot of synthetic grease every couple of years and one would never need to replace bearings or have to open bearing cap.