Old June 17th 05, 12:01 AM
Michael

A student of mine has that setup in his Mooney. It's a hell of a seup
in terms of roll control. GPSS makes an autopilot behave the way you
expect - it gets you on course and keeps you on course without a
problem. Without GPSS, an STEC might as well be a decades-old
Autocontrol/Altimatic - it will hunt so much in nav track mode that you
will wind up just using it in heading hold mode.

I'm not that impressed with the altitude hold function. The
installation I've seen lacks auto-trim. I would say that if you have a
Mooney without electric trim, the altitude hold is not worth buying.
If the air is smooth, a properly trimmed plane will hold altitude
anyway. If it's not, constantly retrimming when the thing beeps at you
isn't any less work than just holding altitude manually.

Michael