Old February 28th 05, 12:52 AM
John Ousterhout

Montblack wrote:
I'm using Mozilla/Firefox instead of M$ Internet Explorer. I've also
switched over to (free) Thunderbird, from using M$ Outlook Express 6.0. (So
far I'm OK-happy with this combination)

I've been reading these newsgroups with Outlook Express since 1998. I'm
familiar with it and I like it. Comfort level: High. Since Thunderbird is so
similar, I'm also comfortable with it.

Here's my problem:

I can not get Thunderbird to clean up old posts the way M$ OE 6.0 does.

(In OE 6.0 -- Right click on whatever newsgroup/Properties/Local
File/Delete) See, I don't enjoy scolling through an archive of thousands of
posts. (That's what Google is for)

In OE 6.0, I like downloading new posts into an empty (clean) message pane a
couple of times per day, reading them, then deleting them. If I want to save
anything I drag it over to a FLYING folder. Sent posts are automatically
saved in my ....Sent folder.

I'm still using OE for newsgroups because of this "one" feature.

Any suggestions? Thunderbird won't even let me delete a single newsgroup
post like I would do if I were cleaning up the Inbox of old e-mails. How do
I get rid of old newsgroup posts with Thunderbird?

Montblack

I also recently changed to Thunderbird (From Eudora email and Agent
Newsreader) I'm happy with the switch. I switched from IE to Mozilla
in 2003 and to Firebird last summer.

On Thunderbird if I select the oldest message in a group I get the
following message:

Error!
newsgroup server responded:No Such Article In Group
Perhaps the article has expired
(246377)
Click here to remove all expired articles

I click and those messages not on my News server are gone from my PC.

By selecting "View Unread" I only see the new messages.

Alas, Thunderbird still lacks great help. But it's getting better all
the time.

- J.O.-