Old April 24th 21, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Default Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 11:25:45 AM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:
Yes, a motor can extend a flight that would have been terminated and get you home. That extension is not a soaring flight, does not count for contests including OLC, so once again, the advantage is convenience. No competitive advantage, no safety advantage. Far from degrading the sport, motorgliders have kept it alive, 80% of new purchases are motorgliders. This is a choice you have made, you seem envious or resentful of people who have made other choices in glider purchase. If you want to see thin skin, look in the mirror. I'm perfectly happy with you flying a non-motorglider. It is you who are criticizing me for making a different choice.

Just as I had predicted earlier in the discussion, we stick to our petrified positions. "Show me evidence... No competitive advantage, no safety advantage..." Denials, denials.

What evidence will you accept? No different mindset? Have you watched the video I pointed to? What the guy says at 26:36

https://youtu.be/hYXeMpQB2l0

Do you really believe Klaus Ohlmann and Jean-Marie Clément would have set their records in the Andes in a "pure" sailplane? Instead, they flew each a Nimbus 4DM, I believe. "No safety advantage" - really? Will you say it's a special case? Well, it is a sort of competition in setting records.

At moments it sounds almost like no-motor pilots should feel sorry for the MG owners with all the troubles they face and how actually disadvantaged they are.

In my opinion, motorgliders are a different branch of soaring and should be treated as such in scoring (including records), as long as a working motor is available as a life-line or just as a convenience help.

Tom BravoMike