Old May 25th 05, 02:02 AM
Sport Pilot

Steve wrote:
Sport Pilot wrote:

Why the obvious apple and orange comparision?

To refute the statement that "more speed is more power."

You need to compare engines of equal size.

OK, Lets do it!

Dodge 5.9 Liter v8 gasoline engine: 230 horsepower at ~5000 RPM

Compared to:

Dodge/Cummins 5.9 Liter turbo-diesel engine: 325 horsepower at 2900 RPM

More speed is NOT more power any more than more torque at the same speed
is more power.

Steve,
As you said power is torque * RPM, so for the same torque more speed
is power. In fact with 0 RPM you have no power only a force. No I
have not argued that desiels cannot deliver power by increasing torque.
Only that their inherent design and fuel limits their maximum speed.
Your example is a poor one most diesels of equivelant size will deliver
more torque at less RPM and have less total horsepower. I don't know
where you found that pitiful Dodge 5.9 liter engine. I have a 4.7 V8
in my Grand Cherokee and it puts out 260+ HP. I know that the 5.7
Liter hemi V8 puts out about 320 or so HP and it is not turbocharged.
So that is a more equal comparison. Unlike the apple orange examples
you put up.