Old April 30th 21, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Nano-3 will not charge

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 19:54:16 -0700, Tony wrote:

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 10:35:59 AM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
On 4/28/21 4:41 PM, Tony wrote:
On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 6:21:35 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
Hey all, my Nano-3 is up to date and worked fine a few weeks ago.

Trying to charge it for tomorrow, it continues to DISCHARGE when
plugged in to factory wall charger, brand x wall charger, and
through PC/USB, both with unit shut down and while up and running.

Started at over 20% battery but it only goes down. 2 LEDs.

I am going to let it crash and try charging from that state, any
other udeas?
So finally the discharge is reversing. I did not let it crash,
decided that would be risky. Just kept unplugging/replugging and
shutting down. Room temperature for three weeks and around 40%
charge, apparently that falls under the cautions? Had this thing for
about 7 years and new battery last year, looks like I have to treat
it with suspicion and kid gloves from now on!?

Have you tried different USB cords? They can become intermittent.

One long shot is USB sockets can become contaminated with dust and
pocket lint after years of use, plugging in the connector pushes a
little bit of gunk into the socket each time. If it happens again, try
holding the plug into the unit. Can be cleaned out with something like
a flat wooden toothpick.

Thanks, everyone. I think Martin may be on the right track. Situation
resolved after multiple tries. LXNAV recommended charging without
shutting down which I will try tonight. Also going to assume the
"extended period" warning applies to weeks, not months!

I didn't realise it has Li-ion batteries: using any power switch other
than mechanical is bad news for those: if you don't check their charge
state regularly the batteries WILL self-destruct if their voltage falls
below 2.5v per cell or they're charged above 4.2v. On top of that a Li-
ion battery self-discharges at about 2% per month, even when not
connected to anything.

If the Nano's charger (external or built-in) has an automatic cutoff at
full charge and can 'float' when the battery reaches full charge, I'd
leave it permanently on charge when its not being used. This style of
charger has been common for years for SLA batteries and is often supplied
with the device. My camera chargers (both built-in and separate) do this
and so does the charger for my Yaesu FTA-250 hand-held radio.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org