Old November 17th 04, 01:43 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"AI Nut" wrote:

Would you have any specifics about what went wrong? Or maybe a list? 8-)

David

Yes:

1. The aircraft was a really poor example of a homebuilt, with numerous
poor building practices. It looked really cobbled together.

2. Apparently the belt driving the generator either broke or came off,
taking out the main lead from the coil to the distributor, causing
engine stoppage.

3. He tried to make it into a golf course and failed.

There was another Ford-powered MM-II in LA a few years ago that met t™e
same end. I have no specific details, but I saw it at Oshkosh -- it
reminded me of the one here -- VERY bad workmanship and VERY rough!

If you want to pursue the Ford conversion, get acquainted with racing
people and learn what they do to assure reliability -- things like
scatter shields, ignition protection, etc.

I seriously doubt that you will gain anything overall (other than
headaches) from your Ford conversion.