Old June 11th 13, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Glider Financing

On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:43:03 PM UTC-6, Bill D wrote:
On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 11:45:07 AM UTC-6, noel.wade wrote:

It's about this being another barrier to entry in a sport that has too many already. It's about a ridiculous situation that doesn't exist for almost any other type of recreational vehicle. There is NO REASON why a person should be forced into any of these "alternate solutions", just to try to accomplish what any Joe-Schmoe can already do with a car, airplane, motorcycle, boat, or RV.

--Noel

Of course, you're right. You've hit on a obstacle to growth. So, what can we do about it? I don't think financial institutions "hate" us as much as they're ignorant of us. Like most people, they react negatively to things they don't understand.

Lea County State Bank obviously thinks it's good business for them. That's something we might try to replicate through education of bankers. Given a workable plan, I'm sure the SSA Growth and Development Committee would consider undertaking the task.

Answering my own post after a bit of research.

There is the American Bankers Association with a publication, "ABA Journal".. Perhaps we have someone with enough financial credibility (John Cochrane?) to write an article about a new banking opportunity financing gliders. "No defaults in 50 years" sound pretty convincing to me.