Old June 11th 13, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

Default Glider Financing

Bill D wrote:
On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 11:45:07 AM UTC-6, noel.wade wrote:

It's about this being another barrier to entry in a sport that has too
many already. It's about a ridiculous situation that doesn't exist for
almost any other type of recreational vehicle. There is NO REASON why a
person should be forced into any of these "alternate solutions", just to
try to accomplish what any Joe-Schmoe can already do with a car,
airplane, motorcycle, boat, or RV.

--Noel

Of course, you're right. You've hit on a obstacle to growth. So, what
can we do about it? I don't think financial institutions "hate" us as
much as they're ignorant of us. Like most people, they react negatively
to things they don't understand.

Lea County State Bank obviously thinks it's good business for them.
That's something we might try to replicate through education of bankers.
Given a workable plan, I'm sure the SSA Growth and Development Committee
would consider undertaking the task.

So what kind of terms does Lea County Bank offer? Do they do small loans? A
friend of mine was looking at possibly buying a small taildragger 30k, and
most banks said they don't do small loans. They would gladly loan him
80-100k but nothing small.

Pete