Old August 5th 15, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

This was my first experience with FLARM. I had prepared myself for a significant change in tactics vs. what was the norm when I last flew a nationals in 2010 but I have to say that I'm a believer now.

As has been said, FLARM in stealth mode enhanced safety without changing fundamentally the skills required to do well in a contest. Granted, on a few occasions FLARM alerted me to another glider a short distance away under the same cloud that proved to be climbing faster. But this zone of visibility was fairly small. On the other hand, I received several warnings of gliders unexpectedly coming into a thermal rapidly from an angle that were quite useful and were received in plenty of time to take action.

I was using a PowerFLARM Portable with the internal readout. I'm told that this device as well as the "core" unit can drive a FlarmView or other readout that provides more data on the gliders within range; e.g., contest ID and climb rate. That's potentially useful information. I don't know where you draw the line but even with this enhancement, FLARM like a decent compromise between the safety benefits and the degradation in skill required to fly competitively.

My decision now is whether to buy a PowerFLARM (the one I used was very generously loaned to me by fellow pilot Bill Nockles)--new or used--or the "core". Is it true that there have been multiple configurations/types of PowerFLARM portables over the past few years?

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.