Old February 7th 04, 12:04 AM
soarski

"Michael Stringfellow" wrote in message news:2YOUb.16245$EW.6421@okepread02...
As I expected, Judy hit the nail on the head. For FAA purposes, to log XC
time, a landout at a remote airfield is required.

The accepted definition in the soaring community is any flight out of
gliding range of the home field. I certainly know when I'm cross-country
when all I can see is rocks and cactus. Under this definition, I have about
600 hours, but under the FAAs I can only count my handful of landouts and
one where I flew from another site back home.

I still wonder whether bodies like the BGA or FAI have a written definition.

Mike

ASW 20 WA

It's academical! Like we told you, no X-Country flights required for
the US Glider license. They do not care yet, even though you could
take a Stemme with a glider license for 600 mi nonstop. You can write
your miles into that form, who cares, but you could also write "NA". I
assumed you were upgrading to an airplane license, "powered" They
probably use the same form? Getting into power, they know what they
want. AND not a landout but landing at a tower controled airport
preferably.

On the other hand, the BGA and FAI know exactly what they want, and
you can prove it with your logger.

DB